North Marine Park is already one of the Borough’s most beautiful assets and this restoration work will further enhance its splendour."
Work has begun on a multi-million-pound restoration project of North Marine Park, on the seafront at South Shields.
Worth £3.2m, the scheme will help breathe life back into the historic park’s original Victorian features as well as new elements. The work, carried out by Esh Construction and undertaken in phases, means the park will not be completely closed during construction work times. The first phase is to focus on restoration of the Grand Promenade staircase and surrounding area, including new paths, terrace, landscaping and street lighting.
Cllr John Anglin, lead member for regeneration and economy, said: “It’s exciting to see this project get underway and activity beginning on site. It’s a real milestone because it’s the culmination of years of planning and securing funding. Its original Victorian features will be brought back to life and a number of new additions, such as a themed play area, will ensure this park remains a favourite with residents and visitors for future generations, as it has been for over a century.”
The project, which is expected to take around 12 months, will aim to create better links with Littlehaven Promenade and improve the area around the Lawe Top. It will also involve creating a new themed play area and restoring the park’s original features, like the grotto. Improvements to the park’s open areas, lighting, seating, footpaths and bowling area are also planned.
The project has been supported with a £2.4m grant from the National Lottery Heritage Fund (NLHF). Stephen McClean, contracts manager at Esh Civils, added: “It’s great to be appointed by South Tyneside Council to deliver this fantastic scheme for the area.
“We are currently working with the local community providing a range of social value initiatives such as STEM sessions, safety talks and employability sessions in local schools whilst on site delivering this project.”
North and South Marine Parks opened in June 1890.