Durham County Council
NEC 3 Option C
The works involved the extension to an existing Netpark Technology Park, including a new road system, new access routes and a new roundabout off the A177. The aim being to reduce congestion and provide increased access to the new development.
The work involved:
- 8,240m2 of new spine road construction with 4,800m2 of footpaths
- Construction of drainage swales adjacent to the main spine roads
- The construction of a new roundabout.
- Two new lay-bys
- New T-Junction constructed onto the existing A177
- 2 storage basins (SUDS ponds) for attenuation of run-off with flow control devices.
- 15m structure planting zone parallel with the A177
- Streetlighting throughout the scheme
- Installation of a bespoke art installation
We promoted the relocation of the highway drainage outside of the road pattern to save excavating through two layers of geotextile to install the drainage. As part of our value engineering proposal, we constructed the surface water drainage below the swales using filter drainage and filter material at the invert of the swale to manage the surface water.