Sherburn House Charity Ltd
JCT D&B 2011
Grade II listed residential care home Beddell House underwent a multi million pound transformation to improve accommodation and provision for residents as the bed sit layout had become outdated. Alterations and refurbishment of the building was completed to provide a mix of one and two bedroom apartments with bathroom and living room, communal areas, dining area and new kitchen.
Sherburn House Charity dates back to 1181 when a leper hospital was constructed on the site which was founded by Bishop of Durham, Hugh Pudsey. Beddell House dates back to 1868 and reflects the gothic style popular at the time and was formerly an infirmary. It is care home for the elderly and sits among 15 acres of maintained grounds.
Beddell House underwent a complete refurbishment internally and externally as the building has become outdated. Works were completed across 6 phases as the care home remained occupied and operational. During the first phase a temporary boiler room was created to service the building while the existing system was stripped out and replaced with a new, high tech and energy efficient system. This was removed once the new system was online.
Through close liaison with the client the residents were decanted in phases allowing for complete segregation of working areas. The original bed sit layout was altered through the removal of existing partition walls to accommodate a mix of one and two bedroom apartments with living room and bathroom. Several apartments also benefitted from modern fitted kitchens to provide a number living options for residents. These alterations increased living space for residents improving their living environment while also aiding their care.