Sunderland City Council
NEC Option C
The key objective of the A19 Enterprise Zone was to build upon the success of the low carbon automotive and advanced manufacturing sectors, promote and secure further expansion and improve access to the Nissan and Vantec factories in Washington, Sunderland.
The scheme was split into 3 phases and cumulatively included:
- New carriageway construction totaling over 22,800m2
- 13,000m2 extension to Nissan car park including road marking, CCTV and lighting
- Three signalised dual carriageway junctions on Nissan Way including new Toucan/Pegasus crossings
- The installation and diversion of major utilities including sewer, BT, gas, water and electrical systems.
- Significant drainage including surface water pipework, ditches, rising main and pumping station
- Installation of 2 large interceptor tanks (9m x 2.5m x 2.5m)
- Street lighting to all areas
- 800m of new security fencing
The works were carried out in close proximity to Nissan and other large commercial operations and therefore close coordination was required to manage third party shift changes and our delivery programme.
The site was adjacent to a Nature Reserve which required ecologist to be based on site full time during the project to advise and monitor the works.