South Docks, Sunderland
Sunderland City Council
NEC 3 Option A
The project aimed to improve berthing facilities and therefore attract more tonnage passing through the Port. The works are linked with recent highway infrastructure improvements within Sunderland and the development of a nearby International Advanced Development Park (IAMP).
Works were carried out on Greenwells Quay and Endurance Park to construct new concrete hardstandings which included drainage, ductwork and electrical services alterations. Key work elements included:
- The removal of 5400m2 of existing concrete slabs and 7100m2 of existing tarmac material which was processed into engineering quality fill material.
- Placement of 4,500m3 of reinforced concrete slab (300mm thick).
- Construction of 1025m of slot drainage and 740m of ducting
- Removal of existing rail tracks and the installation of 470m of new rail track.
- Refurbishment of an existing outfall and associated connections.
- Repositioning of high mast lighting columns.
- Upgrading of electrical services
Works were planned and phased around multiple service diversions which were required on site.