Finlayson's Contracts Ltd
- Base Location:
- Reporting to:
- Closing Date:
- Job Reference:
To work on either flat or pitched (sloped) roofs using the following methods: sloped roof - slating and tiling, using traditional or synthetic slates or roof tiles and flat roof – fitting felt sheets or spreading a waterproof bitumen layer (known as built-up felt roofing).
- Removing or repairing broken tiles or slates (stripping).
- Checking that the roof timbers are sound.
- Measuring and cutting materials to the correct size and shape.
- Recovering the roof - laying strips of felt onto timbers, then re-fitting rows (courses) of tiles or slates.
- Cutting and fitting lead flashings around chimney stacks and adjoining walls.
- Sealing roof joints with mortar, for example on ridges and hips to make jobs watertight.
- Complete the apprenticeship framework in line with individual learning plan.
- The Group is committed to achieving a high standard of Health and Safety in all its activities and the post holder will be expected to contribute to maintaining standards to ensure compliance with all appropriate legislation.
- To take a full role in the implementation of personal development through appraisals and to participate in any identified training or development opportunities
- To recognise the importance of Fairness, Inclusion and Respect in the workplace, to treat everyone with dignity and respect.
- Customer and colleague feedback.
- Piece rate / output productivity work.
- Participation with the apprenticeship framework; including college attendance, on-site assessments and testing, where required.
- Work safely and efficiently.
Experience and Qualifications
- Minimum of 5 GCSE’s A – C, or Scottish equivalent, including Maths and English desirable.
- Full valid UK driving licence desirable.
- Able to follow instructions.
- Takes pride in work.
- Satisfactory numeracy and literacy skills.
- Legible handwriting.
- Willing and eager to learn.
- Effective team player.
- Punctual and reliable.
- Satisfactory communication skills written, face to face and over the telephone.
- Satisfactory time management skills.
- Professional behaviour at all times.
- Although there are generally no laid down minimum requirements or previous experience requirements to undertake this apprenticeship within the Esh Group, this apprenticeship is likely to be suitable for individuals who:
- Have evidence of work experience, including volunteering, within the sector.
- A suitable level of physical fitness to perform aspects of the job (moving and handling resources, placing and fixing materials).
- You enjoy making things and have an eye for detail.
Applicants should be aware that the specific nature of this type of work may involve varied working conditions including:
- Working outdoors and in adverse weather conditions, e.g. temperature variations.
- Shift work (may include nights and weekends).
- Working at height.
- Working in confined spaces.
- Working within highly regulated and controlled areas.
- Working within high hazard environments.
- Wearing specialist safety equipment.
- Working away from home.